Saturday 16 October 2010

Fine Art

Oh dear. At the beginning, I was thinking 'YAY, SOMETHING I CAN DO!'. By the end of the first week, 'Maybe not..'.
It was all going so well, drawing from set-ups around the studio- very much in my comfort zone (despite having to stand up, which is the excuse I am going to use to explain why my sketches aren't great!), but then when we allowed to do what we wanted, and I began to paint, the tutors came and told me that it was rubbish! They wanted me to paint more abstract- which is fine for other people, but REEAAALLLYY isn't something I enjoy. They also didn't care about the ideas behind my work- which is basically the way I like to do things (I prefer working on an idea than picking random images), AND they wanted me to paint structural images. Not my style at all. I was totally gobsmacked. This was not the Fine Art I am used to.
However, I did understand what they were saying about the work I had started, as I wasn't at all pleased with it myself, but I thought that this was supposed to be a chance to show them what we were about, rather than a chance for them to put us down and drastically change what we do. I know that I have to develop, and cant stay the same forever, but I like what I do, and I dont want to completely change my painting style- as that would be turning it into someone else's painting style. So I think that maybe Fine Art is not for me.
Despite the rant I have just gone on (sorry), I ironically, did enjoy Fine Art the most so far. I am just hoping that VisCom interests me!
Here are my final paintings, which I do quite like, but they are just not 'me' at all:

No comments:

Post a Comment